Welcome to my blog

Welcome to The Literary Pig's blog - a safe haven for all those afflicted with
the unbearable urge to write.

Friday 5 April 2013

March round up


Oops sorry this is bit late, I'm blaming the weather. Well, you have too don't you? Here are the Indoor Writer's writing stats for March:

Write 1 Sub: 2 new short stories written, 2 new flash fiction pieces written, 15 submissions (including 1 non-fiction feature)
Publish e-collection: still collating the stories and have decided to enter The Scott Prize (Salt Publishing) which opens end July. So time to write a few more for the collection...
Re-start the novel: am planning to use some of the existing novel for a short story (or stories). Wrote 8,000 word story for BBC Short Story Competition using characters and plot from novel. I flew through the writing and it felt great to be back with these characters. This has to be a sign to pick this up again!
Crack the Weekly News: Waiting for GOOD NEWS (you have to stay positive) on the story I submitted last September. Well, haven't yet heard any bad news.
Crack Woman's Weekly: story submitted - still no response, but as above 'no news' etc etc.
Write and sell a serial: synopsis and first chapter submitted, but sadly was rejected. The lovely Shirley Blair at PF wrote a gentle email explaining why it wasn't right for them and I totally understood reasons. Now have to decide if I make some revisions and try to pitch to other womags which publish serials. 
Application for MA in Creative Writing: apparently interviews for bursary applications will be held on 26 April. Have not heard anything further, hoping to hear something positive in next few weeks.

Hmm, the √'s are static at present. Will need to push on with some of these goals.


Successes: Won Write-Invite weekly competition. Feature published in Writing Magazine (Prosetry in motion), Longlisted for The New Writer's prose competitions: Microfiction and Essay categories. Filler published in Writers' Forum newsFront section. Runner-up in another competition, but still can't say more until official letter turns up!

And now for some good news... Income = payment from Write-Invite and Writing Magazine (feature printed in April issue). The MA fund goes up a little bit more..

And to balance it out with the bad news: Two rejections from PF in one week: serial and short story. Disappointed not to make shortlist etc for several competitions: Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, Homestart (Margaret Drabble was judging), Willesden Herald, Sophie King Prize. And despite getting longlisted for The New Writer in 2 categories I was miserable for not being named in short story category. Sounds silly, doesn't it, but I had made the Finalist/longlist for last 2 years and then didn't make it this time.

There's only one solution for rejection blues...

Keep writing...

15 comments:

  1. That's pretty good overall - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy - yeah not a bad month, well can't complain!

      Delete
  2. I'm exhausted reading all this! Lots of good things there though Tracy and of course you are an honorary wearer of my special t-shirt this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hoping Wendy that this t-shirt doesn't get too comfortable. I'd really like to pass it on in April :)

      Are you coming to WSW talk next week? Gabrielle Kimm is a great speaker, lovely lady too!

      Delete
    2. Yes I am! I will see you there, Tracy.

      Delete
  3. All good stuff, Tracy! Keep at it kiddo! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in Miss McFish - great avatar!

      Delete
  4. You've done really well, Tracy. And as for those pesky rejections, well, they're all part and parcel, aren't they? Show me a writer (particularly a womag writer) who doesn't get them - and I'll show you someone who doesn't actually submit anything.
    I love reading your monthly round-up by the way - it's very inspiring! Can't wait to hear the news-that-you-can't-yet-tell-us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words as always Helen. I was a bit worried everyone would be tiring of these, but actually it's quite cathartic to sit down and tally up the month. Have just done my tax accounts and for the first time in 3 years I have made an end of year profit. Buns are on me :) x

      Delete
  5. Great list of achievements, Tracy - and all submissions are regarded as such! Well done on all that success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. Yes, you are right - every submission is it's own success.

      Delete
  6. Tracy, I think you're wonderful and I LOVE reading your list of achievements. The us and the downs; they're all good, because you are writing all the time. Sheer inspiration! Thank you! I think you might just have inspired me to have a peep back at my New Years Resolution and re-commit to promises I made to myself back then.....Edith xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has really brightened my day Edith - thank you for this. It is a good idea to revisit goals and even tweak if necessary - good luck with yours!
      Have just about decided on my Five Favourite Books & will post next week :)

      Delete
  7. Gosh, you have been busy. Very well done on those successes.

    x

    ReplyDelete