Welcome to my blog

Welcome to The Literary Pig's blog - a safe haven for all those afflicted with
the unbearable urge to write.

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Why do you write?

Do you ever ask yourself why? Why do you write? For some it's about earning an income (or should that be 'trying' to earn an income?), for others it's the pure pleasure of seeing their work in print and many write simply to please themselves. And if you can't please yourself then why bother?

Handsome Hubby is the Indoor Writer's trusted proofreader. As a research engineer his logical approach and attention to detail makes him ideal to pick up the howlers she leaves for him to find (all deliberate of course ...). Rarely does he comment on content and she's learned not to ask for feedback. If he adds any remark after reading then usually this is a good omen ie 'that made me laugh', or 'I liked that one' descend like rainy blessings after a drought. If a story is remarked on it tends to be successful (often first time out) - so he's a good benchmark. Last week he proofread a new short story and returned it quickly, with very few findings. Nothing was said. Several hours later he turned to the Indoor Writer and whispered: 'I think that was the best story you've written. It was simply wonderful.'

Enough said.


14 comments:

  1. Both our husbands, being from an engineering backgrounds, make wonderful analytical proof readers, don't they, Tracy. I imagine the worst type would be one who was also a writer. Your hubby's whispered comments are a good omen for that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, Wendy. I can't imagine living with another writer...

      Delete
  2. No, I don't ask myself why I write - or why I read, eat chocolate, drink wine, or tend the garden. There are some things we just do.

    That comment sounds promising - do let us know how it gets on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Patsy. I think if you want to write you do just get on with it without question - though everyone else still questions you! Will let you know if the story does well - and even if it doesn't!

      Delete
  3. I'm an engineer and I think it helps me take a logical step-by-step approach to writing. Sounds like you have a lot of support at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky with my proofreading hubby - he supports my madness without question! I too have a scientific background and yes even with fiction I approach structure in a logical way so clearly it does help. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  4. I write for all the above reasons - but mostly because I'd be bereft if I couldn't. What a lovely comment from your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rosemary. Yes, I agree - not writing would be unbearable. Between stories or projects I can get very grumpy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Tracy, I did ask myself that very question, just the other day! Sometimes I wish I didn't have this compulsion to 'make things up'! My brain would be a lot less fuzzed up, for a start! I write for a variety of reasons but I must admit, I like the buzz of being published and seeing my words in print and, of course, the confidence-boost that I (occasionally!) get from actually earning some money from writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about a "fuzzed up" brain, Helen. When an idea starts hatching for a story it can take over the thinking space! And yes once you've tasted the buzz of seeing your work in print, you just have to keep going for the next one...

      Delete
  7. I'm assuming you plan to enter THAT story into a writing competition then!! :) Looking forward to hearing about the prizes it will garner you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edith, it was written for a specific competition and submitted last week. I don't hang around! Will definitely let you know its fate...

      Delete
  8. What a lovely comment Tracy. My husband is great for encouragement but I can't bear to be around when he's reading my work! I have to leave the room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwww, bless him :)

    I hear a lot of "writing tutors" say you shouldn't show your work to your nearest and dearest, but, ive always found mine to be very honest. If its crap, he'll tell me it is :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete