Setting the goals has to be done as a joint effort with writer Wendy Clarke, we met at our favourite tearooms (spookily discovering that we'd met to set 2015 goals on exactly the same date a year
before) and got stuck into the task (and teacakes of course - they're obligatory). You can read Wendy's 2016 targets here.
Before defining new goals it's essential to assess how you did on the previous ones. These were my aims for 2015 ... with outcomes.
THE 2015 WRITING GOALS1. Finish and submit dissertation for MA. YES! Submitted with a week to spare.
2. Identify a list of Literary Agents I would like to work with. YES. And still working on it...
3. Complete editing/polishing of novel and begin submission to identified agents. YES.
4. >50 short stories published (currently at 43). NOT QUITE - 48 end of 2015 (lesson learned, and I can hear Joanna Campbell nagging - don't set goals that you have no control over!)
And this is what I hope/want/ache to achieve in 2016 ...
2016 WRITING GOALS
1. Strive to do whatever I can to find an agent i.e. get the first novel out into submission land.
2. Complete first draft of second novel by end of the year.
3. Write at least one new radio drama.
4. Attend York Festival of Writing (September).
I have lots of other things I want to get underway in 2016, but these are the headlines as it were.
Goal 1. is in progress with Operation Agent and I bet Wendy that whoever finds an agent first buys the other a slap-up lunch. Okay, I know I'm fairly safe on that one - I've just read her novel and loved it.
Have you set any writing new goals for 2016? Please share ...