Print Express Poetry Competition: this closes TODAY 9 April, so you have to be QUICK
Click here for submission details.
- Poem must be no more than 45 lines on the theme of HAPPINESS
- Poem must be original and has to make the judges smile
- Winner receives £100
- Free entry, email your poem to firstname.lastname@example.org
Woman's Own Summer Short Story Competition: Closing date 30 April
For a Summer Fiction special Woman's Own have opened a competition for short stories:
- 1000 - 1300 words, and they state the 'story can be funny, heart-warming, tear jerking or a mystery with a twist in the tale'.
- Story must be original and unpublished
- Winner receives £200 and story is published in summer fiction special. Runners-up may also be published and possibly paid too.
- There is NO FEE to enter, just email your story to email@example.com (but there are no clear instructions as to whether story should be an attachment or embedded in the email).
Controversely when this competition was first launched in Feb the prize was simply publication i.e. no cash reward. This prompted a tirade of comments on Woman's Own Facebook page from numerous Womag writers, many of whom threatened to boycott reading the magazine if it didn't pay for publishing stories. Just shows the power of social networking and the number of comments left by writers in that the magazine then backtracked and agreed to offer a cash prize of £200.
Unbound Press 2012 Short Story Award: closing date 30 April
Click here for more submission details
- Stories of <1500 words, any theme or genre welcome
- 1st Prize - £500, 2nd Prize - £250, 3rd Prize - £125
- All winners and shortlisted stories will be published in an anthology and receive free copy
- Entry fee is £5 via paypal or cheque (both postal and email entries accepted)
- Gust Judge is Lucy Luck
- Stories must original and unpublished
- Email .doc or .rtf files to firstname.lastname@example.org (cut and paste paypal transaction number along with all contact details into the email).
Good luck if you do have a go at any of the above competitions. Let me know if you enter and how you get on. Keep writing and keep submitting ...