Welcome to my blog

Welcome to The Literary Pig's blog - a safe haven for all those afflicted with
the unbearable urge to write.

Friday 22 August 2014

What are you reading on holiday?

LitPig is stacking his rucksack with holiday reading. With several full bookshelves to choose from it was a tough decision on what to pack, but he's plumped for these (in no particular order):

The Lie - Helen Dunmore
Recently heard Helen talk at Chichester Waterstone's and she signed this copy too! Another friend who attended the same talk reckons this is Dunmore's best work to date.
Helen confessed that she was unlikely to write a final book to conclude 'The Siege' and 'The Betrayal', as the story could never end happily.

Bad Mothers United - Kate Long
We LOVE everything written by Kate Long and this sequel to the excellent 'Bad Mothers Handbook' will be quickly devoured. (Just wondering when Kate will bring out The Hamster's Diary in paperback... though he'd probably use if for nesting material)

The Humans - Matt Haig.
Really enjoyed 'The Radleys' and a writing chum has raved about this one.

The Lie of You - Jane Lythell
The Indoor Writer recently met Jane at a workshop on 'writing radio drama' in Brighton. This is Jane's debut novel, which looks to be an intriguing crime thriller. Can't wait.

Hmm now wondering when LitPig will get time for hill walking - the whole point of the holiday, but then he has to live up to his literary name ...

What have you been reading or planning to read on your holidays? Please share if you've read any good page turners over the summer.





16 comments:

  1. Ooh, august company! Have a great time on holiday. I am taking Sally Quilford's 'The Steps of the Priory'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. Hope you have a great time too!

      Delete
  2. Just back from my holiday - and I read The Lie while I was reclining by the pool! Yep, it's great. My favourite of Helen Dunmore's is still A Spell of Winter, though :-) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for that, Linda. Really looking forward to reading The Lie.

      Delete
  3. The Humans by Matt Haig is my favourite book this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great recommendation then, Dawn. Thanks for that!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the recommendation Tracy.
    My summer reading: I am just back from a trip to the Highlands and the Isles of Orkney so I read George Mackay Brown's non-fiction Portrait of Orkney (fabulous writing) and am just completing his first novel Greenvoe (1972).
    Highly recommend both books. He was a poet as well as a novelist and was Orkney born and bred.
    Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always wanted to visit, Orkney, Jane so a bit jealous of your trip. Sounds like you chose the perfect reading too. Thank you for the recommendations :)

      Delete
  5. I loved The Humans and of course love Kate's books! Haven't read The Lie but would like to, so that'll be another for the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and post some reviews when I get back, but would recommend Helen Dunmore if you've not read her before.

      Delete
  6. The Humans & The Lie are both FAB! I'm off to Greece next week, and taking He Wants - Alison Moore, A Time to be Born - Dawn Powell, The Things We Never Said - Susan Elliot Wright, Dear Committee Members - Julie Schumacher (proof copy), The Diary of a Provincial Lady -mE M Delafield and Green Girl - Kate Zambreno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cracking list for the holiday! I read 'The Lighthouse' last year and it wasn't typical holiday reading, but not read the reviews yet for 'He wants'.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the recommendation about The Lie. Added it to my list. Love Helen Dunmore. I read Burning Bright over the summer, but I think Talking to the Dead is my fav.
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to catch-up on Dunmore's backlist. I've heard a lot of good things about her earlier books. Thanks for the recommendations, Alyson :)

      Delete
  8. I'm hoping to do a lot of writing on my next trip, but I'll be taking the kindle too. I've downloaded lots of books by blogging buddies and some classics - so many I'm not sure what's on there but some of them are bound to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget I have a Kindle! But great if you're always travelling in the van, Patsy!

      Delete